Eating at night (rather, right before bed) is not recommended because movement after eating helps aid digestion. Your body heals and repairs itself at night and should not concern itself with digestion at this time. Eating before sleeping affects the body's natural cycle and being forced to digest - poorly, might I add - can cause bad dreams and less nonREM sleep than stopping two or more hours before bed. — Anonymous
No one’s claiming that eating before bed makes you fat moreso than what you’re eating. Fact remains that your body digests better with light physical activity following a meal, and sleep is meant for repairs and rest, not for digesting. Again, the human body cannot digest correctly at night and does a half-assed job of both sleeping and digesting. If someone needs a full stomach to sleep, a light snack or a glass of milk will do. More than that is asking for inefficient sleep.
I see you haven’t posted either of my asks. Is it really that hard for you to post something in which someone who disagrees with you expresses herself more intelligently and with more sense than you’re able to? Wow, I see you’re really looking out for your followers, censoring things so that they get the idea that you’re right instead of being able to make an informed decision.
Again, because you and your followers don’t get the fucking message and you still can’t handle being wrong (boo hoo ya twat). It is not healthy to eat before bed. Working the night shift has nothing to do with it. Calories, food, your digestive system, no they don’t know the hour on the clock, but people are justifying eating their midnight snacks with the excuse that calories don’t tell time. Being active on the night shift is different from the typical nighttime acitivity of SLEEP. Morons.
Oh, anons who send “hate” (see also: anyone who disagrees with miss perfect here) get their asses handed to them? That’s why you can’t post my asks because you literally don’t have the ability intellectually to come up with a response. You’re a sad, sad egotistical little girl.
OH NOES REVENGE OF THE BUTTHURT ANON ROUND 3!!!
I’m just going to assume you’re the same insecure anon who got their ass handed to them the other day. And who thinks they’re the next best thing after God, tiramisu, and Harry Potter since you “express yourself so much more intelligently and are obviously more have more sense than anyone else on tumblr”.
And if this is 2 different anons, you deserve to be grouped together to be honest.
- Get over yourself.
- I don’t care about your lack of literary skills when all you do is force me to repeat myself over and over again because I’ve already debunked your shred of an ~argument~
- I don’t sit around all day worrying about anons and their asks.
- Your ask is neither more nor less important than the 21 asks that were submitted before yours.
- Don’t you have anything better to do than to stalk out my blog for hours, desperately waiting for me to answer an ask?
I lol’d again.
Anyway, let’s get down to the facts.
- Not really sure where you’re getting your “physical activity helps digest food” claim. I did a quick search and found zero documentation to back that up except for one article (http://chestofbooks.com/health/nutrition/Dietetics-4/Rest-And-Sleep-And-Digestion.html#.UU3mnhxfEvt) which references a book published in 1905… LOL! Yes let’s rely on 100+ year old information.
Digestion is part of the parasympathetic system. Meaning when it’s activated, other parts of your body are down regulated and relaxed. Blood rushes to the stomach and away from parts of your body that don’t need it like your muscles in your legs and arms. This is why you get sleepy after a large meal. It’s to help you better absorb and aid in digestion. From a physiological viewpoint IT MAKES SENSE YOU WOULD GET TIRED. Most of your blood supply is going towards digesting that meal. Otherwise, if physical activity were to “aid in digestion” then you would feel overwhelmed with energy and would easily be able to run a marathon. But no. Exercise, even light exercise, is advised not be done within a short period of time of a meal. If you start being active during digestion, you’re taking away those resources and forcing blood to go to your limbs instead of towards digestion. This screws with digestion.
So no, it’s actually better to relax after a meal and let your body do its thing. Millions of years of evolution makes this obvious through your body’s natural behavior! Even animals in the wild take naps after eating meals.
What you MAY be referring to is physical activity in general helps aid in digestion. This is likely true. I’ve heard that regular physical activity AS PART OF A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE (and not at a specific point in time immediately after a meal) will help with bowel movements, reduce heart burn, etc.
So um yeah, not really sure where you were going with that one. Derp.
- The body doesn’t simply heal itself during the night. It heals itself during the day as well. The moment you have ANY injury, the body begins to metastasize cells for regrowth and repair. And LOL @ thinking digestion steals the spotlight for all 8hrs and doesn’t let the body do anything else. LOLOLLOLOL. Ignorance is bliss, eh?
- Besides… how are you supposed to heal your damaged muscle without any amino acids in your body for a full 14 hours since people like you stop eating at 6PM? Eating before bed may not be for everyone, but it sure is a hella good time to refeed some protein in order to aid in recovery. I mean… you eat protein after a workout right? Why the fuck wouldn’t you eat it before you fast for 8+ hours while your body “does the most healing during the night”. Hurrr durrrr.
PS: Do a quick search on the clinical study that concludes males who ate their biggest meal in the evening had better nutrient absorption and more increased muscle mass than males who ate earlier in the day.
I believe my point here has been thoroughly proven.
- I agree, not everyone can eat before bed. Some people become restless and lose sleep because when nutrients get absorbed this can excite the body. These people should not eat immediately before going to bed. However, that is completely beside the point of the image, and this entire argument. The argument is “eating at night does not make you fat”. Not “eating at night has no negative effects on the entire population”.
You won’t even consider looking on the other side of the fence. Some people NEEEDDD to eat immediately before bed. THey NEEEDDD to fall asleep on a full stomach. Otherwise they won’t be able to fall asleep at all. Or they’ll wake up in the middle of the night to grab a snack. This is not a one-size-fits-all piece of “common wisdom” that people shouldn’t eat at night. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. But I assure you, eating at night is NOT the cause of fat gain. <—- and that’s the fucking argument. Learn to read. Moving on.
- “No one’s claiming that eating before bed makes you fat moreso than what you’re eating.” — Dude, that’s the entire point of the image. LOLOL. That’s the entire point of the argument and you messaged me because you disagreed.
- “the human body cannot digest correctly at night and does a half-assed job of both sleeping and digesting” — LOL you’re an idiot. This is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. More idiotic than the time someone said “when you sit or sleep you don’t burn any calories.” WHY DO YOU THINK YOU GET SLEEPY (AND MANY PEOPLE FALL ASLEEP) AFTER EATING A NUTRITIOUSLY DENSE MEAL. LOLOLOL I’m laughing so hard at you anon. Really, I am. It’s 2:41AM here and I am snorting like a piglet.
- “More than that is asking for inefficient sleep.” — How can you even justify this kind of claim. Every one is different. What works for you might not work for someone else and vice versa. If someone wants to eat a steak dinner with loaded mash potatoes, grilled asparagus, and a slice of cake 20min before going to sleep, and if they sleep like a fucking baby for 8 straight hours GOOD FOR THEM. THEY SHOULD KEEP EATING MEALS FIT FOR A KING AT NIGHT. AND GUESS WHAT? IT WONT MAKE THEM FAT (assuming they’re not eating crap the rest of the day and watching tv all day).
- “ Is it really that hard for you to post something in which someone who disagrees with you expresses herself more intelligently and with more sense than you’re able to?” - Nothing that you have said makes sense or is scientifically backed up. Nothing. LOL
Here you go anon, you deserve it! good job, well played. You’re welcome to come back for round 4.0